There are different programs for people to apply for Permanent Resident to Canada
  • Federal Skilled Worker.
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program.
  • Canadian Experience Class.
  • Provincial Nominee Program.
  • Family Sponsorship.

Federal Skilled Worker

Basic eligibility:

Persons who meet one of the following requirements may be eligible to apply for Federal Skilled Worker:

  • have at least one year work experience in one of the eligible occupations*, OR.
  • have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR.
  • are an international student who is enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or who graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet these criteria

Minimum requirement:

Work experience:

Work experience must be:

  • for at least one year in the same occupation,
  • continuous and paid (full-time or an equal amount in part-time),
  • within the last 10 years,
  • in skill O, A or B level

Language ability

Applicant must meet the minimum language requirement of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7.


Applicant must have a Canadian diploma, certificate, or credential


a foreign educational credential, and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) by an agency approved by CIC to show it is equal to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.

Point system

If the applicant meets the basic eligibility and minimum requirements, Immigration Canada will assess their application on a point system. The pass mark is 67 out of 100 points.

*Eligible occupations

  • 0211 Engineering managers
  • 1112 Financial and investment analysts
  • 2113 Geoscientists and oceanographers
  • 2131 Civil engineers
  • 2132 Mechanical engineers
  • 2134 Chemical engineers
  • 2143 Mining engineers
  • 2145 Petroleum engineers
  • 2144 Geological engineers
  • 2146 Aerospace engineers
  • 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers/designers)
  • 2154 Land surveyors
  • 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
  • 2243 Industrial instrument technicians and mechanics
  • 2263 Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety
  • 3141 Audiologists and speech-language pathologists
  • 3142 Physiotherapists
  • 3143 Occupational Therapists
  • 3211 Medical laboratory technologists
  • 3212 Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants
  • 3214 Respiratory therapists, clinical perfusionists and cardiopulmonary technologists
  • 3215 Medical Radiation Technologists
  • 3216 Medical Sonographers
  • 3217 Cardiology technologists and electrophysiological diagnostic technologists

Federal Skilled Trades Program

Persons who have work experience in the eligible occupation* may be qualify to apply for Federal Skilled Trades Program. To apply for Federal Skilled Trades Program, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
Meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (CLB 5 for speaking and listening, and CLB 4 for reading and writing),
Have at least two years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in a skilled trade within the five years before you apply,
Meet all job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC), and
Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a provincial or territorial body.

*Eligible occupations

Group A – Jobs with sub-caps of 100 applications each (and their corresponding 2011 NOC code)

  • 7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
  • 7204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades
  • 7205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
  • 7271 Carpenters
  • 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
  • 7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews
  • 8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry
  • 8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying
  • 8222 Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling services
  • 8241 Logging machinery operators
  • 8252 Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers
  • 9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing
  • 9212 Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilities
  • 9214 Supervisors, plastic and rubber products manufacturing
  • 9231 Central control and process operators, mineral and metal processing
  • 9241 Power engineers and power systems operators
  • 9243 Water and waste treatment plant operators
Group B – no sub-caps (2011 NOC code)
  • 7231 Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors
  • 7233 Sheet metal workers
  • 7235 Structural metal and plate work fabricators and fitters
  • 7236 Ironworkers
  • 7237 Welders and related machine operators
  • 7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
  • 7242 Industrial electricians
  • 7243 Power system electricians
  • 7244 Electrical power line and cable workers
  • 7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers
  • 7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
  • 7251 Plumbers
  • 7252 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
  • 7253 Gas fitters
  • 7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
  • 7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
  • 7313 Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
  • 7314 Railway carmen/women
  • 7315 Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
  • 7318 Elevator constructors and mechanics
  • 7371 Crane operators
  • 7372 Drillers and blasters - surface, mining, quarrying and construction
  • 7373 Water well drillers
  • 8231 Underground production and development miners
  • 8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers
  • 9232 Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators

Canadian Experience Class

Persons who meet the following requirement may apply for Permanent Resident under Canadian Experience Class:
  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before they apply,
  • have gained the experience in Canada with the proper authorization
  • meet the required language levels needed for the job for each language ability:
  • If the applicant gained the skilled work experience in Canada in a NOC 0 or A job, he/she must meet the minimum level of CLB 7 in either English or French for all four language abilities.
  • If the applicant gained the skilled work experience in Canada in a NOC B job, he/she must meet the minimum level of CLB 5 in either English or French for all four language abilities.

Provincial Nominee Program

Persons who immigrate to Canada under the Provincial Nominee Program have the skills, education and work experience needed to make an immediate economic contribution to the province or territory that nominates them. They have been assessed as being able to economically establish themselves successfully as permanent residents in Canada.
To apply under the Provincial Nominee Program, applicants must be nominated by a Canadian province or territory. The criteria for provincial nomination are determined by the individual provinces and territories.

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)

The eligibility criteria and process for applying to the AINP varies depending on the category. There are different categories in AINP to help persons who would like to stay in Alberta permanently.

Skilled Worker Category

As an AINP Candidate, you must:
  • Clearly show in the application that you are able to and intend to live permanently in Alberta.
  • Have related education, training, previous work experience, and any Alberta licensing needed for the position and to meet AINP criteria.
  • Provide a copy of your valid work permit if you are already working in Alberta.
  • Provide proof of your legal status in your country of residence only if you are not currently working in Alberta (you are living abroad).

International Graudate Category

As an AINP Candidate, you must:
  • Clearly show in the application that you are able to and intend to live permanently in Alberta.
  • Have obtained a diploma, degree, or have completed a graduate level program from a publicly funded community college, trade/technical school or university in Alberta or Canada, or at a private institution in Alberta authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.
  • AINP approved Alberta public and private post-secondary institutions.
  • Have graduated from a Canadian educational program that was a minimum of two years in length at the undergraduate level or a minimum of one year at the graduate level.
  • Have a current and valid post-graduation work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Show that your job with your Alberta Employer is related to your field of study in Alberta or Canada.
  • Have six months of full-time work experience with the same Alberta Employer on a post-graduation work permit before you apply with the Alberta Employer to the AINP.

Semi-Skilled Worker Category

As an AINP Candidate, you must:
  • Be currently working in Alberta on a work permit for an eligible AINP Semi-Skilled Occupation*
  • Show that you have completed a minimum of high school education.
  • In the Foodservices Industry (pilot project) your high school education must be equivalent to Alberta standards.
  • Meet the minimum level of CLB 4 in either English or French

*Eligible AINP Semi-Skilled Occupation:

Industry: Food and Beverage Processing
  • Food and Beverage Production Worker (NOC 9617)
  • Bakery Production Worker (NOC 9617)
  • Food and Beverage Processing Equipment Cleaner (NOC 9617)
  • Industrial Butchers and Meat Cutters (NOC 9462)
  • Poultry Production Workers (NOC 9462)
Industry: Hotel and Lodging
  • Food and Beverage Servers (NOC 6453)
  • Room Attendants (NOC 6661)
  • Front Desk Agent/Clerk (NOC 6435)
Industry: Long-haul Trucking
  • Long-haul Truck Driver (NOC 7411)
Industry: Foodservices (pilot project)
  • Food and Beverage Servers (NOC 6453)
  • Food Counter Attendants (NOC 6641)
  • Kitchen Helpers (NOC 6641)
Industry: Manufacturing

Compulsory and Optional Trades Category

As an AINP candidate, you must have
  • an Alberta Qualification Certificate in a compulsory or optional trade, or
  • a Recognized Trade Certificate in a compulsory or optional trade issued by a recognized regulatory authority in Canada recognized by Alberta
Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AIT) including:
  • a valid trade certificate with an Interprovincial Red Seal,
  • a valid trade certificate without an Interprovincial Red Seal in a Red Seal trade issued by a regulatory authority, or
  • a valid trade certificate issued in a non-Red Seal trade that is recognized by the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training Board.
  • You must be residing in Alberta at the time of application and show that you have a valid work permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to work in Alberta in the trade in which you are certified.
  • You must show, at the time of application, that you are either currently working in your trade for an Alberta Employer or have previously worked in your trade with an Alberta Employer for a minimum of six months in the past two years.
Family Sponsorship
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents.
To be a sponsor:
  • You must be 18 years of age or older.
  • You and the sponsored relative must sign a sponsorship agreement that commits you to provide financial support for your relative, if necessary. This agreement also says the person becoming a permanent resident will make every effort to support her or himself.
  • You must provide financial support for a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner for three years from the date they become a permanent resident.
  • You must provide financial support for a dependent child for 10 years, or until the child turns 25, whichever comes first.
You may not be eligible to be a sponsor if you:
  • failed to provide financial support you agreed to when you signed a sponsorship agreement to sponsor another relative in the past
  • defaulted on a court-ordered support order, such as alimony or child support
  • receive government financial assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • were convicted of an offence of a sexual nature, a violent criminal offence, an offence against a relative that results in bodily harm or an attempt or threat to commit any such offences—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a record suspension (formerly called “pardons” in Canada), was issued (See Sponsorship Bar for Violent Crime below)
  • were previously sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner and became a permanent resident of Canada less than 5 years ago (See Five-year Sponsorship Bar for persons who were sponsored to come to Canada as a spouse or partner below)
  • defaulted on an immigration loan—late or missed payments
  • are in prison or
  • have declared bankruptcy and have not been released from it yet.
> back to top
Copyright 2010 Global Hire Specialized Placement Services - All rights reserved. Privacy Policy